The Rottnest Island Authority in conjunction with Rottnest Express have introduced a new luggage procedure for your onward and return journey that is designed to improve and simplify the accuracy and efficiency of luggage delivery. Rottnest Express is responsible for the water transport component of the delivery of your goods, with the Rottnest Island Authority being responsible for the delivery and collection for return of your goods on the Island.
- Single piece carry-on items should be no larger than 600mm x 400mm x 300mm. There are no luggage storage facilities in the passenger cabins, so anything taken onboard must be able to be accommodated on your lap and not interfere with other passenger.
- No ‘piggy-backing’ of luggage is permitted e.g. attaching a sleeping bag to a suitcase. Small items must therefore be checked individually or taken as carry-on luggage.
- If you are travelling with an infant, infant food and other necessary items as well as one baby pram per infant may be carried onboard at no extra cost.
To guarantee delivery of your luggage please ensure all luggage complies with the following:
- Items which do not comply with the above cannot be transported or delivered.
- Valuables and medication must be carried in your carry-on baggage; under no circumstances are they to be packed in luggage to be delivered or put in the vessels hold.
- For safety reasons fishing rods cannot be taken into passenger cabin areas. They will be placed in the vessels hold by the crew and must be collected by yourself from our crew upon disembarkation from the vessel.
- If travelling with infants, please ensure you have adequate quantities of essential supplies as delays to deliveries on the island due to circumstances beyond our control do occasionally occur.
- When making a booking 8 (eight) days or more in advance of your travel date you will be mailed a set of personalised luggage labels with onward and return information. You are entitled to 2 luggage labels per person travelling for $2 per label. Additional luggage labels can be purchased when booking, or at your departure terminal. If luggage is overweight, you do have the option to purchase a lightweight plastic storage bag from any one of our terminals.
- If your booking is 7 (seven) days or less from your travel date you will be able to collect luggage labels at the departure point for an additional fee.
- Once booked, if your travel arrangements change then new luggage labels will need to be re-issued at either your departure point or extra labels purchased online.
- All luggage label related fees are displayed when checking out online.
Carriage of bicycles and bicycle trailers
Due to the limitations of loading bicycles on board the vessel, only bicycles that are within the specifications listed can be loaded and are loaded subject to availability.
Height – No higher than 1.3 metres
Length – No longer than 1.8 metres
Width – Total width of the bike must be no wider than 45cm
Weight – No heavier than 22kg
- Electric bicycles, that meet the specifications, can be loaded provided the battery pack is removed from the bicycle.
- Bicycles that exceed any of these specifications cannot be loaded on any Rottnest Express vessel.
- Bicycle trailers are required to be empty before being loaded on board the vessel.
Additional freight and associated charges
||Fee per item
|Bike & Surfboard Combo
|Stand Up Paddleboard
Please note the items listed above, as well as the following cannot be delivered and must be collected from the vessel upon disembarkation:
- Fishing Rods
- Bikes (rentals or own)
- Guitars/musical instruments
- Boogie boards (not in a cover)